Want to use WordPress as a CMS (Content Management System)? If yes, the first thing you’d like to do is get a static front page, instead of latest blog posts on your blog. Right? So, you want to display a static page on your WordPress blog front page? Don’t worry, it’s not that hard. Just follow the steps below and get a cool static home page on your WordPress-powered site. (Tip: Blogger.com users may read my earlier post on how to create static home page for a Blogger blog.)
Steps to add static home page on WordPress:
- Login to your WordPress dashboard.
- Go to “Pages” section and create a new page. This one will be your static home page. So, add the content that you’d like to display on your front page.
- Save the page as “Home” (or any other name).
- Once your page is ready, go to “Reading” options under “Settings” section in your blog dashboard.
- Under “Reading Settings” there is “Front page displays” options. Default is “Your latest posts”. Select the second options: A static page (select below). Then define your static page for Front page by using “Home” from the drop down menu.
- There is another option for “Posts page“. This one is required if you want to make an extra page for your latest blog items. Create a new page and save it as “Blog”, “News” or anything you like. Don’t add any content. Then select that page from the drop down menu for “Posts page”. If you don’t want a blog section, skip this step.
- Click the “Save Changes” button.
That’s it. Open your blog and see how the static front page appears. Make the necessary changes by editing yourÂ “Home” page.
Note: If your theme navigation bar or sidebar automatically lists pages, don’t forget to modify your theme code to exclude the “Home” page from the links generated by the wp_list_pages template tag. You can also add navigation links manually without using the template tag. If there is no blog page, don’t forget to add links to your blog posts/archives from the navigation menu or from the sidebar. This will ensure that your front page visitors will never miss a chance to browse through your blog articles.
You might also like: