New to blogging? Want to start your own blog to share your thoughts? Or want to create a blog to make money online? Don’t waste your time testing all available blogging tools or blogging platforms. Try WordPress, the open source blogging platform (or blogging software), trusted by millions. In this post, I am going to tell you why WordPress for perfect blogging platform and why you should use it.
First released in May 2003, WordPress is now the most popular self hosted blogging platform with more than 202 million blogs and websites running on it worldwide. I love WordPress and I recommend it to everyone who wants to run their blogs on their own server (rather than using free blogging services). I am recommending WordPress after using almost all available blogging software and content management system(CMS)s that normally people recommend. With many powerful features, WordPress is an excellent blogging platform. And here are 10 simple points on the basis of which I am giving my recommendation. If you are a newbie and want to start a blog, read on to know why you should use WordPress for Blogging.
Why You Should Use WordPress for Blogging?
- WordPress is very Easy to Use: You don’t have to reinvent the wheel in order to use WordPress. It is so easy to use that even a newbie can create a powerful blog with WordPress. No need to learn PHP or MySQL. Just install WordPress on your server and enjoy blogging. Literally, it works out of the box. Moreover, it can be updated automatically, without downloading or uploading any files.
- WordPress is Easy to Customize: WordPress uses themes, which gives the outer look of a blog. With thousands of free WordPress themes available online, you will never find any problem in find a suitable theme for your blog. WordPress themes are available in many variants such as one column, two column, three column, newspaper, photo blog, magazine style etc. Though, most WordPress themes works out of the box, one can easily customize theme with basic knowledge of PHP, HTML and CSS. And there are many good there developers that offer premium themes and customization services at affordable prices.
- WordPress have plugins for Performance Enhancement: WordPress uses plugins, which extends the ability of WordPress to do almost anything and everything you want to do with you blog. From adding simple sidebar widgets to converting your blog into a powerful CMS, plugins can perform various tasks. All you need to do is choose the right plugin from the right source.
- WordPress is Search Engine Friendly: WordPress have many options to make your blog search engine friendly. You can use custom permalink structures to obtain clean URLs for your post, page, and archive. Using the built in ‘tags’ and ‘categories’ also helps in telling search engines what your post is all about. The blogroll and ping features can also help you in SEO. Moreover, there are some powerful SEO plugins such as the ‘All in One SEO pack‘.
- WordPress provides Spam protection: In blogging comment spam is a big propblem, specially when your blog is popular. With WordPress you can easily fight comment spam. Thanks to robust tools such as an integrated blacklist and open proxy checker to manage and eliminate comment spam on your blog. Also there are many good plugins that offers protection against comment spam.
- Better Productivity and Blog Management tools: WordPress comes with a bunch of features that will help you blog regularly and effectively. For example, media management, built-in text editor, scheduled posts (or future posts), XML-RPC, trackback, pingback, comments, links management, auto ping, automatic updates, easy importing from other platforms, multiple authors with user registration and many more.
- WordPress is multi-lingual: Yes, you can blog in your own language. WordPress has the built-in capability to be used in any language. It is already available in many languages and there are many plugins that helps users create multilingual blogs with WordPress. It means, with WordPress, language is no more a barrier in blogging.
- No Special Hosting is required: WordPress is compatible with most hosting environments. The server requirements for WordPress are PHP version 4.3 or greater and MySQL version 4 or greater. Though, Apache or Litespeed are recommended, any server supporting PHP and MySQL can run WordPress. So, you don’t have to look for any specific web hosting companies to host your WordPress blog.
- Availability of Support and Resources: You will never find any problem when you need any kind of help regarding your WordPress installation. Just go to official WordPress support forum or ask for help in other popular forums and blogs that discusses WordPress. Internet is full of tips, hacks and solutions related to WordPress. Resources available in WordPress Extend are also useful.
- WordPress is Open Source, Free and Stable: WordPress is an open source program. It means, no hidden or encrypted codes. Advanced users can check and modify the codes anytime. Lot’s of people contributes to it’s development, so that the end product is always great! And whenever some flaws or security issues are detected, WordPress developers don’t hesitate to release a new update. So, if you have the latest version, rest assured that you are safe. Also, don’t forget that it is always free.
So, what you think? Are you interested to try WordPress? Is yes, go and try it today. I am sure that you gonna love it. For manual installation, you can download WordPress from here – http://wordpress.org/download/. And for automatic installation, use ‘Fantastico’ from your cPanel or consult your host to install it for you.
Note: This post is intended for newbies who wants to start their own blog, on their own server. If you are already using WordPress, you may have much more reasons to love this cool blogging platform! Feel free to tell us why you love WordPress. Also, if you don’t like it, don’t hesitate to mention the reasons.
You might also like: